One of our favourite recording projects in recent years was the Charles Morris Office Building, also known as Morris House. In 2013, the house was moved from downtown Halifax to its new home at the corner of Charles Street and Creighton Street, where it would begin to undergo renovations. DMA archaeologists conducted detailed recording of the building in 2018 on behalf of the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia.
The results of the recording radically changed our understanding of the building's original layout. Now appearing as a fairly standard Victorian Halifax house from the outside, small signs in the building's framing and layout eventually showed that the house was closer to a "Cape Cod" style home, likely one-and-a-half instead of two-and-a-half stories tall, with a massive central chimney that was likely removed around 1899.